Apoland

Welcome to the Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: True Stories  (Read 2278 times)

BlackMoon

• Senior Apolander
    • View Profile
True Stories
« on: April 02, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »

So, now that the official Forum is up again, I'm looking for interesting stories we can save here.

This one is from Terre:
The Luckiest Boy in the World
Me Wendy and Tony took Michi along to watch the sound check of the Apo gig in London. Michi is too young to go to an actual gig here, therefore the guys always let him sit in and watch the sound check.

About halfway through, Pee got offstage and wandered vaguely over in our direction. i was surprised to feel a cheek pressed against mine a few seconds later and Pee's voice in my ear. 'does Michi know any of our songs?'

a moment's thought. Michi plays more Vivaldi and Mozart than Apo..."He knows the base line to Bittersweet"

"Ok. After we finish this soundcheck, he can come on stage with us and play." He wandered back onstage.

I informed Michi, who immediately fell apart at the seams. i've never seen him look so terrified. But he seemed to think he could do it, although he had not played Bittersweet since he'd first learned it a few months back. I told him that Antero would probably leave after the soundcheck and he'd play Antero's cello. That scared him even more. (Woudn't it scare you?)

One fun soundcheck later. Eicca's voice boomed from the stage. 'Michi'. come here!'

Like a lamb to the slaughter, shaking in his shoes, Michi slunk to the stage, got up there and was presented with Paavo's cello. He sat on Paavo's seat after shooting some terrified glanced at Antero - who did not move from his seat. Oh noes!!!! Antero was going to play with Michi too! EEEEK!

A little bit of terrified trying out the bow on this suddenly hugely loud PA system, then they launched into Bittersweet. After a false start, shaking hands and wrong rhythmical bowing, Michi seemed to settle in and enjoy it. Pee and Eicca played the tune and Antero and michi played the bass part. Paavo stood nearby and if michi forgot the note, i saw him telling michi what it was. He didn't do too badly at all once he stopped shaking and there were a few moments where i could beleive it was a full compliment of Apo guys playing. Of course, me as the proud mother snapped some pics.

Eicca wanted to play something fast, but Michi didn't know anything, so with many thanks and nice words from all the guys, yes, even Antero muttered something at him as he passed, Michi put away Paavo's cello, got off the stage and, grinned shakily. "At least I did it!" he declared defiantly. He did not seem to realise how rare a privilege it was that he had just experienced, however much i tried to explain to him. Autistic poeple do not understand things like this. To him it was playing a cello with Apo and only the fact that Antero was there possibly frightened him more than playing at all.

Ever since I took him to see Apo 4 years ago and he uttered his first ever statement to me 'mum, i want to play cello' This band have inspired him to play music. Trhough music he has become a boy who, whilst slightly strange, has managed to fight his way through the silent world of autism and into some kind of normality. To have these guys who he admires so much let him play with them, is something he does not understand.

But I do. I understand that it's a once in a lifetime honour and I thank the guys from the very bottom of my heart for caring and helping a little boy, who 4 years ago could not read, could not write, did not speak and had very bleak prospects for normality in his life.

Trying out the PA... ooh. loud!

IS this thing on?

Awwwww... perfect harmony and Pee shares a cute smile with Antero (out of shot)

T.
Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
[Anonymous]

Apo Mom - DarkestNight
Apo Sisters - TheVixenne, Snathaid, EtherealFinn, Milli
Apo Daughters - Robinlina1, noperttu, edlihtaM

BlackMoon

• Senior Apolander
    • View Profile
Re: True Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:35:47 PM »

This one is from Altaira. I hope she is well.

Thank You Eicca
A year ago, I found out I was going blind. My condition is progressive and degenerative. Very soon, I'll be completely blind.

When I got the news, I spent a day feeling sorry for myself. And then...I started making plans. Things to do and see before I lose my vision entirely.

First in the list, was to see Apocalyptica in concert. Dallas was in the tour schedule, so I bought my ticket and my VIP pass.

I can't describe to you how happy I was.

The day of the concert came, and I went to the box office. Somehow, all record of my VIP pass was lost. And they couldn't do a thing to help me.

To say I was crushed...devastated...is an understatement.

My friend was going to give me her pass, but I didn't feel right about that. It wasn't fair. So she said...let's go to the back of the venue where the bus is parked and see if we can catch their manager. Honestly, I lost hope and really didn't think anything could be done.

We stood there for awhile. And the door opened. Eicca walked out, and I just stood there stunned. My friend got his attention and told him this was my dream. To see Apocalyptica perform and meet the men whose music I love. She told him I was going blind and that this was my last shot at seeing them. Literally.

I looked up and Eicca looked down at me. He said, "Awww..." and pulled me into a hug. I, of course, by this time am blubbering. (Sorry about your shirt, Eicca :) ) But he said, "I'm going to fix this." He got my name, told us to wait there, and went back through the door. In my mind, I'm thinking he'll send an assistant back with the pass. But about five minutes later, he came back and handed it to me. This started another round of tears from me.

I was absolutely overwhelmed at the depth of his kindness and understanding. I thanked him profusely and he hugged me again. My friend snapped a picture so that moment will live forever with me.

Eicca, what you did went above and beyond anything you should have been expected to do. You made my dream come true. Because of you, I got to meet all of you. Mere words just can't express my gratitude. You're a kind, compassionate gentleman. A dying breed in our time. Your kindness shows in your eyes and you're a beautiful human being, inside and out.

I know you may not remember what you did for me in the future. But I..will never forget it. You made an impact on my life. You made a difference.

And I can't thank you enough.

Altaira

Also a nice answer from Terre to this:
Believe me, Eicca will not forget you. He has the most amazing memory for people. He is also one of the most caring, compassionate and Empathic people i have ever met. I'm sorry to read about your sight loss and i'm glad to read that you were treated so beautifully by him.
Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.
[Anonymous]

Apo Mom - DarkestNight

BlackMoon

• Senior Apolander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:20 PM »

From Moon, after discussing why Perttu is a klutz:
Or Perttu almost killing himself because his in earplug went out of his ear and got stuck in his necklace & hair. Comment from Eicca: "But first we must wait for Perttu to hang himself" (before they could continue to play the show).
[Anonymous]

Apo Mom - DarkestNight

Vordaï

• Global Moderator
  • Apoland Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 03:35:11 PM »

I love that one, it was with Dutch fans, I think Moon was there also, they were talking about when Perttu joined Amon Amarth on stage and he said to the girls " you have no idea how it feels like when you're with your favorite musicians and to talk with them like that!"  :))

Vordaï

• Global Moderator
  • Apoland Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »

Please excuse my typing. I've trapped a nerve in my shoulder and i'm in alot of pain. it kills me to type and as my left hand is numb, i can't feel the keys under my figners, so please excuse typing mistakes. i'm in too much pain to go troug and correct.

A couple of funny Apo stories... this one is the weirdest.

Yesterday, me and Wendy decided to go to the West End to shop. We got to Kentish Town and, as the traffic was awful, decided to get off the bus, get something to eat, then finish our journey on the tube. We went into a cafe on the main shopping road, ordered sandwiches, drank tea, then i went outside for a cig while Wendy finished eating.

There were a couple of tables outside and, there, on one of the tables, was a bow - a black-haired cello bow. I picked it up, tested that it wound up properly, wondering why there should be a bow on the table. Then i noticed the E written on the point.

Now, it so happens that I know this band, who play cellos with black haired bows and one of their names happens to begin with E. Not only that, they played in Kentish Town yesterday. The cafe was nowhere near the venue, however.

So... it's really damn weird out of everyone in London, I was the one to find that bow and know immediately who it belonged to and what to do with it.

PS: I emailed PErttu to tell him about it and he's owned up to using it and actually throwing the bow into the crowd somewhere when he hurt himself with is during refuse/resist. Still weird how it turned up where it did tho. Most peole would keep it if they found it.

other funny things....

Me giving 5 packs of winegums to Antero and Mikko outside a cafe, telling Antero he mustn't eat them all. He gave me one of his beautiful wide smiles and told me he was ignoring my advice.

A conversation... I was outside havign a cig. Eicca and Mikko walked out and stopped to chat.

M: Antero's gone for a run.

T: in this area? is he mad? (Kentish town isn't the safest of places in London)

M: He said there was a park up that road. He's gone there. (points up the hill)

T. Oh my god! He's gone to Hampstead Heath for a run wearing those little shorts of his? Don't you know that the Heath is where all the gay guys hang out for casual sex? George Michael is always up there.

E: (Laughing) then he'll learn to run very very fast - Or come back with a huge smile on his face.

T: if he comes back looking really worried and a bit strained, you'll know why.

(Guys go off)

Later - once more i was outside having a cig (Wendy and Tony swear I have Apo radar.)

Eicca and Mikko walk back up the road. Eicca is carrying a bag.

E: We bought Antero a present. (rummages in the bag to show me)

M: He loves to cook, and we found an apron. We thought it was perfect after you told us where he was.

Eicca brings out a cooking apron and holds it up proudly. On it is written:

"Very

Very

Very

Gay Chef. "